Young Adult Suicide Statistics
- Suicide is the 3rd-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds.
- Suicide is the 4th-leading cause of death for 10- to 14-year-olds.
- Suicide is the 2nd-leading cause of death for college-age youth.
- Youth suicide rates have nearly tripled in the past 40 years. Between 1980 and 1996, suicide rates for 10- to 14-year-olds increased by over 100%.
- More teenagers and young adults have died of suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia and influenza, and chronic lung disease combined.
Warning Signs of Adolescent Suicidal Tendencies:
- Talking about suicide
- Obsession with death
- Out-of-character behavior
- Giving away prized possessions
If you are a teen or parent of a teen that displays suicidal tendencies, call Fort Lauderdale Behavioral Health Center toll-free at 954-734-2001. Ask for more information or schedule a no-cost assessment.